Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 1, 2011

A Thousand Splendid Suns--Blog Post 1

Choose one character from the novel--

1. Find one quote said either BY your character or ABOUT your character that you feel shows a great deal about the personality/nature of the character.

2. Explain why the quotation stands out and how it accurately depicts the character you have come to know through the novel.

3. Is there anything from the novel that you do not understand? What questions do you have for your peers and teacher?

8 comments:

  1. The character I picked is Mariam also my favorite. The quote in the book that reflects who she is the most to me is: "One last time, Mariam did what she was told". The is in chapter 47. It is when she is about to be killed for the murder of her husband Rasheed. She is a brave woman and she loved Laila and her children so much that she would be willing to die for their safety. But this quote also depicts that she was more of a maid than a wife. Throughout the book she had to do what Rasheed wanted and anyone else that gave her instructions. She never rebuked him or said no to what he nor anyone else told her to do. She knew her place in society as a woman and a harami, which was very shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked Laila as my character. I really liked her. The quote I picked for her was," Everybody wants Jack to rescue them from disaster." I found this quote on page 304. I thought it showed a lot about her character. Going back to the fact that she really missed Tariq, and how she wished he was around. How she wished that he was "alive" to come save her from her disaster living with Rasheed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “By the time we are twenty, Giti and I, we’ll have pushed out four, five kids each. But you, Laila, you’ll make us two dummies proud. You’re going to be somebody. I know one day I’ll pick up a newspaper and find your picture on the front page.”
    This quote is something Hasina said about Laila. It stood out to me because this was the kind of life Laila could have had, a life of happiness and freedom. She had so much going for her, until the war started. She lost all of her freedom to become the amazing person she should have been. It also stood out to me because women in countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan sill have to live like this today. It makes me feel fortunate to have the ability to go to school and speak freely with out the fear of being beaten or killed in the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The character I choose was Mariam. Mariam was a very inspiring character, even more than Laila, because she was brave and courageous. “I admit to what I did, brother,” Mariam said. “But if I hadn’t, he would have killed her. He was strangling her.” This quote shows how loyal Mariam is to Laila. It shows how Mariam would go to anything, even death, to fight for her new friend. It accurately depicts Mariam because it shows how much she has grown and that she is not a Harami, for she was wanted by people who loved her like laila and her children. I think this quotation stands out the most to me because it shows how far Mariam and Laila’s friendship has come, and even though Mariam life is coming to an end, she still lives on in Laila’s heart. Over all, I thought the book was very interesting, but it was hard to read about how the woman had to go through such bad abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The character I chose to write about is Mariam. The quote I chose to describe her is found on page 91, she is remembering what Nana had told her about snowflakes: “As a reminder of how women like us suffer, she’d said. How quietly we endure all that falls upon us.” This quote reflects a lot about Mariam, it shows her struggles, strengths, determination and her bravery. She endured so much throughout her life, as a child and as she grew older. I think the perfect example of Mariam’s struggles and having to suffer is when they returned home from the hamam and the doctor, to find out that Mariam had lost the baby. Rasheed wasn’t concerned with how she was doing and her feelings about loosing the child he was just aggravated. I think that this is a good example because it shows how Mariam was suffering and how she endured it alone, she didn’t have someone there with her to talk to and comfort her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the character i chose was rasheed, and the quote is: “Where I come from, a woman’s face is her husband’s business only.” (page. 70) I chose this because to me it show how towards the beginning rasheed tried to be sweet and caring towards Mariam and make her feel like she really was important. Then as the book went on you will read how Mariam began see that he was just like all other men and didnt care/ or think about women well enough to respecte them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quote I have chosen is the very last line from the book. This quote said about Laila reveals to the reader that not only she is pregnant but, it also infers that she will name the child after Mariam. It reads, “ But the game involves only male names. Beacause, if it’s a girl, Laila has already named her.”
    Laila had the utmost respect for Mariam and for what she did for her. For her to name her child after her in my opinion is not only honoring her but, is passing on the name in hopes for the child to one day know what a strong women she was named after. This child will always have her name to remind her to endure and to keep fighting through difficult trails in its life.
    MEGAN

    ReplyDelete